Not Home Yet...

Friday, April 13, 2007

now NONE but Christ can satisfy...

O Christ, in Thee my soul hath found,


And found in Thee alone,


The peace, the joy I sought so long,


The bliss till now unknown.


Now none but Christ can satisfy,


None other name for me;


There's love, and life, and lasting joy,


Lord Jesus, found in Thee.


I sighed for rest and happiness,


I yearned for them, not Thee;


But while I passed my Saviour by,


His love laid hold on me.


I tried the broken cisterns, Lord,


But ah! the waters failed!


E'en as I stooped to drink they'd fled,


And mocked me as I wailed.


The pleasures lost I sadly mourned,


But never wept for Thee,


Till grace the sightless eyes received,


Thy loveliness to see.

I absolutely love this hymn. its probably my favourite at the moment.

Is Christ always the most important desire in your heart all the time? Do things sometimes crowd in the way? i love God. He is definitely the best thing that ever happened to me, but sometimes other things crowd in the way of my love for him. sometimes i want to go on the computer more than read my bible, or go out with my friends instead of having my quiet times.

i think crushes are the things that push God from his number one position in my heart. this is why i hate them so much i guess. if i get a crush then suddenly i will dream about this person, think about this person, can't wait til i see them again etc. if you admit it, we all have had crushes. some people say its just growing up. maybe. but they are evil!!!:P hehe, well maybe not evil but definitely dangerous. What can be more dangerous than something pushing God out of his number one position? okay, maybe its temporarily. but that doesn't make it any worse. think how it makes God feel? So avoid crushes? i think so. it annoys me when people say, " but i can't, you can't stop a crush, this is love and its out of control". well probably not at the age of 15. and I'm sorry but you can stop crushes. what do you think you do with your self control and will?! aren't we meant to exercise them? every time you think of this person, pray instead. it works. it really does.

remember that although many other things look like they can satisfy they can't, only Christ can =]

2 Comments:

  • At 13 April, 2007, Blogger Becca said…

    Well done Abi, this is a great post. It's time someone dispelled the myth that 'we can't help fancying people'. You totally can help it. Anyway, thanks for this!

    Bex xx

     
  • At 28 September, 2010, Blogger robert said…

    Thanks for posting "None But Christ Can Satisfy." It is a very fine gospel song. James McGranahan wrote the tune, but we don't know who wrote the words. The song reminds me of the parable of the Prodigal Son, looking for satisfaction in all the wrong places.

    If you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.

    And if you’ll excuse a brief “commercial:” With the arrival of fall, we begin to think of the Christmas season up ahead. If you do not have a good book on the subject of our Christmas carols, I encourage you to take a look at mine, Discovering the Songs of Christmas. In it, I discuss the history and meaning of 63 carols and Christmas hymns. The book is available through Amazon, or directly from Jebaire Publishing. (Might make a great gift too!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home